Michael has been working at Sanctuary Cove Golf and Country Club for over ten years since starting his apprentice in 2007. Michael is one of our Senior Greenkeepers and works on all surfaces across both The Pines and The Palms.
- What made you wish to follow a career in golf course maintenance?
My love of sport.
- What inspired you to apply to work at SCGCC?
It was the first job that I applied for after moving from NZ and I’m still here.
- Who has been the most influential person you’ve met in the industry?
Robin Doodson, He gave me a start in my apprenticeship.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I was diagnosed with cancer at age 19 and beat it by age 21.
- How would someone describe you in three words?
Needs more sleep.
- What do you do when you aren’t working at SCGCC?
Spend time with my beautiful wife and daughter.
- What are your hobbies?
Keeping fit and playing sport.
- What’s your number one gardening tip?
Be one with the plant.
- What’s the most stunning golf course you’ve visited?
Riverside Oaks-Bungool Course (Sydney).
- Which sports team do you follow?
All Blacks and the Warriors.
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- Do you play a musical instrument?
- What’s the strangest talent you have?
Annoying my wife and daughter on a continuous basis.
- What’s your passion?
- What’s one professional or personal skill you wish you had that you don’t (yet)?
Speak a second language.
- What is the one thing in this world you are most proud of?
My 2-year-old daughter, Kaley.
- What do you wish other people knew about SCGCC?
Everything that goes on behind the scenes to get the golf courses looking how they do.
- If you could invite any three guests to a dinner party, who would they be?
Michael Jackson, Michael Phelps, Michael Jordan.
- If you were to start a company from scratch, what values would you build it on?
Honesty and hard work.